Aromatherapy refers to “a holistic healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts to promote health and well-being.” Aromatherapy has been used for thousands of years by ancient cultures for its physical and psychological benefits. At Goodall Pools & Spas, we can help you turn your hot tub into an aromatherapy spa that will provide you the health benefits you seek.
Aromatherapy Health Benefits
Aromatherapy works by using the sense of smell to stimulate the brain into a sense of wellbeing. The essential oils are absorbed through the skin. When aromatherapy is combined with hydrotherapy and the jet massage you get from your hot tub, the benefits of aromatherapy are increased.
Health benefits of aromatherapy have been listed as:
- Helping manage pain.
- Improving digestion.
- Soothing sore joints.
- Treating headaches. Some find it relieves the pain of migraines.
- Improving the quality of sleep.
- Boosting immunity.
- Reducing stress and anxiety.
Choosing the Best Aroma Scents for your Hot Tub Aromatherapy
Be sure the essential oils you choose are safe for your hot tub. You do not want to damage your spa by choosing the wrong product. The scents come in different forms for spa use. You can choose crystals, capsules, salts, or liquids. Check with your hot tub dealer or service person so you make a choice that will not damage your spa.
Some aromas are associated with improving certain health conditions. For just a few examples:
- Lavender. Helps with sleep disorders and depression. Also helps manage the pain of cramps, muscles, and headaches.
- Eucalyptus: Helps to open the sinuses, so it is good for treating sore throats and other cold and flu symptoms.
- Chamomile. Known for its calming effect and relief of headaches, neuralgia, arthritis, and insomnia.
- Ginger. Relieves back pain and feeling of heavy legs.
- Vanilla. Soothes the body and is known as a “mood booster.” It is also known to help infection, decrease inflammation, and enhance libido.
Warnings About Use of Hot Tub Aromatherapy
- Be sure you only use products designed for your hot tub so the tub will not be damaged.
- Do not use products designed for your hot tub in your home bathtub.
- If you have any allergies, are being treated for any medical condition, or are taking prescription medications, check with your doctor before you choose to start aromatherapy.
For help in turning your hot tub into a spa for aromatherapy, contact us at Goodall Pools & Spas. We have five convenient locations, so you can find one near you.