Pool closing can be a daunting task, especially if you’re a new pool owner. That being the case, a question we hear often is “Can I get a pool closing kit with everything I need?” At Goodall Pools & Spas, the answer is yes! For our neighbors in Central Pennsylvania, you never have to worry if there’s a pool supply store with all you need for pool closing. We are your one-stop shop.
As always, you want to continue your regular pool and water treatment until sometime between late September and early October. That’s when prime pool closing weather hits in Pennsylvania. The weather’s not so cold that the pipes will freeze. And it’s not so warm that you’ll spend all your winterization chemicals prematurely by closing the pool too soon. But before you can proceed with the pool closing kit, there are a few critical steps you want to take that will ensure your success.
Final Water Test
By the time pool closing rolls around, you’ll probably be more comfortable with the water testing process. After all, you’ve had all summer to practice. However, we urge customers to go one extra mile when it comes to the final water test before pool closing.
Remember, we offer FREE water testing at Goodall Pools & Spas. By bringing your last water test of the season to us, you’ll remove the guesswork from the process. We recommend this, especially for new pool owners, because this is the most important one you’ll perform all year. Once you close your pool, it will sit dormant for several months. So you want to make absolutely sure that you have the correct chemical profile to keep that water balanced and your pool healthy during its hibernation phase.
The best time to do this is 3 – 5 days before closing your pool. That way, you’ll time the chemical treatment effectively. You’ll know just how much of each product to apply so that it will last until the next swim season starts.
Pool Closing Kit
Once your final water test is out of the way, you’re ready for the chemicals. We offer BioGuard Arctic Blue® Winter Kits. These are 3-product sets that keep your water shocked and balanced until it’s time to open the pool again. Specifically, these kits contain:
- Winter Shock. Winter shock targets any bacteria left over in the water before you close the pool. This also prevents grime from building up on the pool walls and helps keep the water clear.
- Winter Algaecide. Algae growth is one of the most troublesome problems that can result from unsanitary pool conditions. Winter algaecide removes that threat by stopping algae growth at a cellular level.
- BioGuard Pool Closing Complete. If calcium falls out of solution in your pool water, it can lead to scale build-up. BioGuard Pool Closing Complete prevents scale build-up in the cold winter water, and also keeps the water clear of organic contaminants during the winter months.
Each winter kit treats 12,000 gallons. Most pools use 1-3 kits when closing their pool.
- Arctic Blue Winter Kit 12.
- 2 pounds of winter shock
- 1 pint of winter algaecide
- 1 bottle of Pool Closing Complete.
With these kits at the ready, you’ll arm yourself with a reliable pool closing cocktail. Your pool will certainly thank you for it come springtime!
Where to Buy a Pool Closing Kit
BioGuard Arctic Blue Winter Kits are available at each of our five Goodall Pools & Spas locations in Central Pennsylvania. Contact us or visit one of our stores today. Our team will set you up with what you need to keep your pool clean and healthy in its off-season. Before you know it, we’ll see you again for all your pool re-opening needs!