Your backyard pool is often the center of activity during in the middle of summer when the hottest weather hits the area. Hot weather is also a challenging time for the pool owner who is striving to keep the water clear and free of algae. At Goodall Pools & Spas, we help you understand the most serious hot weather issues and what you can do to keep your pool water sparkling and clear.
Clear water invites swimmers to jump right in. Cloudy water is not inviting and is generally due to a chemical imbalance. The chlorine levels are likely low, or the pH is high. The best thing to do is test the water and treat according to instructions. At Goodall Pools & Spas, we provide free water testing and can help keep your pool water clear all summer, despite the heat.
Algae Growth and Treatment
There are three main types of algae that can thrive and grow in warm pool water:
- Green algae: This is the most common form of algae. Green algae may attach itself to the surface of the pool but can also be free-floating.
- Yellow algae: Its favorite spot is in the low flow areas of the pool.
- Black algae: This is the most difficult type of algae to remove and forms a root system.
There are specific treatments for each specific type of algae, but commonly, the algae problem can be remedied by:
- Brushing the pool to keep the algae from clinging to the sides and bottom.
- Increasing the sanitizer level. We often recommend adding double or triple your normal dose of shock to treat algae.
- Using an algae-killing algaecide like Bioguard’s Algae Complete.
- Increasing the pump run time to 12-24 hours a day.
For service designed to keep your pool water sparkling all summer long, contact us at Goodall Pools & Spas about our Prestige Pool Maintenance. We have different levels of service depending on your individual needs. If you prefer to do your own pool maintenance, we do free water testing in our stores and can provide you with a printout of exactly what your pool water needs.