If you are the owner of a backyard swimming pool, you know that it requires weekly maintenance for your water to be “swim-ready.” If you properly maintain your pool then you, your children or your guests can enjoy a dip in the pool at any time and get a respite from the heat by enjoying the cool water. At Goodall Pools & Spas, we will keep your pool sparkling clean. It will always be ready for you and your guests to take a dip in the pool. If you prefer to do your own pool maintenance, we offer the following tips.
Do-it-Yourself Pool Maintenance Tips
- Water analysis must be done weekly to keep the water comfortable and clear. For example, the pH of your pool water must be kept between 7.4 and 7.6, and the chorine level needs to be between 1 – 4 parts per million (ppm). The total alkalinity must also be routinely checked.
- Skim the leaves and other debris off the top of the water.
- Clean the skimmer basket every day.
- Vacuum the pool as needed.
- Brush the walls and floor of the pool. Give special attention to the steps and waterline.
- Clean the pump basket and the automatic cleaner bag if applicable.
- Backwash the filter when needed.
- Add chemicals as needed. The best time to add chemicals is right after the pool is cleaned.
- Clean the coping and pool deck, otherwise debris on the deck will get back into the pool fairly quickly.
- Add water to the pool as needed.
- Do a safety check around the pool area. Check fence latches to be sure they are in working order.
If you need help keeping your pool clean, contact us at Goodall Pools & Spas for help. All five of our stores offer free water testing. After the water analysis is completed, you will be given an easy to read print-out detailing how to treat & maintain your water. Your recommendations are always tailored to your pool or spa specifications. Our pool maintenance experts are ready to assist you in keeping your pool looking great for all your summer fun.