Pools are meant for fun and exercise. Friends and family can gather to have some water playtime, do some laps, or just relax. Today, many people enjoy decorating their outdoor pool area to create some ambiance. Hanging string lights or adding some bistro lighting in the pool area is a very popular trend. But there is something that Goodall Pools and Spas wants you to know about pool lighting. Water and electricity don’t go together. As a matter of fact, it’s downright dangerous.
Bistro lighting or hanging string lights with 120 volts comes along with the possibility of electrocution. And while other types of pool lighting have been designed with devices for safety, string lights and bistro lighting have not. According to electricians, this popular trend is highly dangerous. String lights and bistro lighting should have a low voltage, at least 30 volts or less. That will greatly reduce the possibility of electrocution.
The Setting for Electrical Shock
Having bistro lights or string lighting plugged into a non-GFCI outlet sets the stage for disaster. Many of these lights are 120 volts and dangerous. If just one of the lights should fall into the pool water, there will likely be electrical shock.
Even if bistro lighting or hanging string lights are plugged into a GFCI outlet, danger still exists. The mechanical device may fail. Again, if any of the lights wind up in the pool, it’s likely that electrical shock will occur.
Playing it Safe
There are low voltage string lights and bistro lights that are safe. If they are properly installed according to code, there should be no risk of electrocution.
Be aware of these electrical codes and pools:
- All outside pool area plugs should be GFCI protected.
- No plugs should be within 6’ of the pool water.
- No outdoor lighting in the pool area should be more than 30 volts.
It’s also wise to have a certified electrician inspect your pool area.
Without a doubt, Goodall Pools and Spas wants to keep you and your family safe. If you have lights that are 120 volts near or over the pool water, take them down immediately. Water and electricity do not mix.